Monday 18 December 2017

My bastard tongue




Now, before anyone says “Oooer Mrs!” or clutches their pearls in shock, I mean bastard in the sense of no longer in its original pure form…a hybrid of sorts.

These blog pages have already mentioned some of the local farm lingo that is bandied around casually that means absolutely squat to a casual bystander…mules (sheep), hogs (sheep), tud’duths (sheep), four’tuths (sheep), goyle (steep sided valley, where sheep live), mizzling (less than drizzle, but infinitely more annoying, which makes sheep wet), and dimpsey (dusk, the time when sheep do nefarious deeds out of eyesight of their overlords).

These words have slowly crept into my daily vocabulary, along with referring to anything as he, as all farmers here around seem to do.  “Turn him over (the sheep…invariably female), and pass him here (the foot trimmer) while you hold him steady (the foot)”.  Cheerzen is now my standard parting (thanks Richard for that Wiltshire-ism…I’ll get even one day), while I have started unconsciously to use your’n (your one), where’s he to (where is he) and back along (a while ago).  However, back-sunned (something that does not get much sun directly as it is facing the ‘wrong’ way) has yet to creep its way in.

A man is a mosaic of his history, and his language a bastard conceived from various influences.  While Devon and the south-west are now gently affecting my accent and vocabulary in subtle ways, bits and pieces have been accumulated along the journey.

I started off with a battle between Estuary English (Lahndan mate) and Received Pronunciation.  Environment vs mother exasperatedly trying to get us to speak properly (“It has a t in it!  Hope starts with an h”).  A failed experiment, as everyone adjusts the way that they speak subconsciously to where they are and who they are with (whom…but whatever).  I still find it easier not to pronounce the h in hair, (I’m goin for an ‘air cut), and use profanity in the standard London way – as punctuation, rather than as insult.  Someone once told me they lived in Herne Hill, and it took me a while to realise they meant Ern Ill, where even the Ill is pronounced iwl.  Which is just dahn the road from Fornton’eaf (Thornton Heath, for those RP amongst us).  Add to that a Kentish grandmother living with us (who gave me length, breadth and heighth) and my compulsive mimicry, and we were set.

Living in the States gave me a whole new set of words and phrases to incorporate.  I still now go to fill the car with gas, but have reverted to bonnet and pavement.  Ian says I am the only person in Devon who says “Dude!” but Aaron and Brontë down the road do too, so I’d like to modify that to the only person over 30.  I may be the only one who uses Jonesing (I’m really Jonesing for a hamburger… I really fancy one), and Bogart (Don’t Bogart the duvet…don’t keep it all to yourself).  Other USA-isms creep in from time to time, earning me a disgusted look.

As well as absorbing as I go along, I have a father who makes up words and always has – most of the time not realising he is actually doing it.  When he does, he shamelessly passes them off as real.  This is the same man who said he was going to hospital for his autopsy, so that gives you a bit of an idea as to the strength of his grasp on the dictionary.  However, his abandon with words has given us threddling the needle, which really ought to exist (I was convinced that it did for a long while), flobadobs (the hanging down bits of a boxer dog’s mouth), and mungling along the beach (I can’t even begin to fathom where that came from).  As he says, they are words – just the dictionary people aren’t clever enough to know what they mean.

Like father like son, I use words that exist in this household, but possibly not elsewhere.  When nothing fits, a new word is needed.  Strokage, what you give to dogs, the strokes, cuddles and general fussing that they love.  Ensmallen, to make smaller.  Sheeping (what Farmer Ian does all day, in its various forms). Ensneakulate (what puppies do when they are sneaking and inveigling and generally worming their way into or onto something, such as the sofa).

What got me thinking about all of this was that I said to Ian the other day, having failed to get any of the dogs to go out for a wee in the thunderstorm, “Nary a one wanted to go”.  Where that comes from, I have no idea…but clearly it’s in there from somewhere.

Meanwhile, after that digression, back on the farm, we’ve started more hedge-laying (or in the case of Little Field, fully grown tree laying), some new cows have arrived to be integrated with the herd, and we are starting to bring some sheep in for the winter (cattle already nicely bedded up and chewing cud).  Lambing will be a fortnight earlier next year, so things are happening sooner than normal. 

Mowing and strimming to encourage wildflowers in spring.

Ned is getting his farm inductions...lesson 5, quad bike etiquette.

Lesson 8, don't mess with the husky.

4 comments:

  1. Hi there Ian! your blog entry made me smile and think of all the words I invent as I go along :-) Having lived away from home since 1979! which seems like ions ago, I've adopted a word or two here and there. Now that I am in Italy, I try to improve my vocabulary by simply adding an -o to the end of a word and if i want that word to be in female form an -a, of course! Words that have crept into my daily language from other lands include "gezellig" from Dutch! Pronounced pretty much as heh-SELL-ick but you can make the initial H as guttural as you wish to fit in. It means "cozy" to simplify things but much more if you look deep into it. I like to "soupinate" things in the kitchen when I cook, I say "çok yaşa" pronounced more or less "choke iasha" and means "God bless you", in Turkish, as in what you say when someone sneezes. Often when I set the table I ask for a "napkino" from Umberto because the blessed word "tovagliolo" is far too long! and has too many vowels towards the end, and I never use cucchiaino instead of teaspoon or "aiuolo" , which is a small area of flowers on a side walk or a small island of flowers in the street. But due to its number of vowels, my Turkish upbringing has a hard time with it and wants to add consonants between all the vowels ! Having sailed the big oceans in my youth I often use "arr arr matey" just because it is fun to use it!!

    well, matey! thanks for this wonderful blog piece,

    ciao! (now that's an easy one to use!)

    and cin cin for the holidays!

    Sweetheart Rooster Bears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merhaba Canan!

      Great to hear that you make stuff up as you go along too – when I don’t know a Spanish word, I simply fabricate from somewhere else…and amazingly, it sometimes works!

      We are definitely stealing soupinate!

      Ho bisogno di imparare Italiano perche la sorella di Ian abita in Sardegna – e sposato con un italiano e nostri nipoti sono mezzo italiano. E facile leggere, ma non parlare e scribire. (Apologies for all of the mistakes…one day….)

      Görüşürüz arkadaşlarım

      Ix

      Delete
  2. Your Italian is already better than mine :-) or was that google who translated for you?

    Come and visit us so that we can invent words together while enjoying some good wines! inventiamo insieme ;-)

    hugs and best wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my own work, no Google!

      Dove siete in Italia?

      Definitivo visito sometimeo!

      Ix

      Delete