Tuesday 13 June 2017

Drifting into summer


Lambing seems like it was months ago.  Farmer Rob says if we had to put the rams in the day lambing finished, we wouldn't...but by November we'll have forgotten how we felt by the end of week two and merrily look forwards to the next round the following spring.  We're half way through shearing, which involves a lot of moving sheep around and avoiding the weather (not wet, not too hot), and today Ian M has started the hay-making.  It soon came around again.  It's wonderful to smell the cut grass drying, pollen-heavy as it is, and it feels like summer is properly here now that the storms and wind have abated (they will undoubtedly be back at some point).

Ian mows in Quarryfield, while Sonny goofs in 7 Acres

Wildlife margins are not only of interest to wildlife!
It's too hard to resist a nap in the grass.

A few visitors chez nous...

Charlie (Bunny Prince Charlie) chances his arm...or foot...or whatever.
A baby robin stares at me through the office window.
One of the many yellowhammers, looking splendid for summer.
The invertebrates are benefitting from our wildlife areas (yes, even the wretched slugs)...

Hoverfly bank

Bee bank - look at all that clover!

Taking a few minutes out, I recently sat on the bench outside the kitchen and tried this "being mindful" malarkey - being more aware of my surroundings and in tune with the world.  Closing my eyes I concentrated on my other senses.  I could smell the grass baking in the field, with a delicate undertone of dung. I could hear the wind soughing in the trees below the field and the crack as the chaffinches broke open the oat husks I put out for them.  But it was kind of spoilted by Cody panting like the Flying Scotsman, the bubbler turning on for the septic tank (a gentle hum...but I know what it's doing...), and some spanner on a quad bike haring down the hill (oh wait, that might have been Ian - I take back the spanner bit if that's the case).

Overall, though, the main problem was an annoying inner voice that kept saying "Concentrate on being mindful" and "Boy, this bench is hard on my bony arse".  I do irritate myself sometimes.


1 comment:

  1. Lovely to hear how things are going on the West side! Lots of love from all of us on the East side! XX

    ReplyDelete