Sunday 22 May 2016

Time honoured traditions


Recently Ian and I were moving ewes and their lambs up from the lower fields to Raceground, and as I was ambling up the lane, I became aware of a car purring along behind me.  When I turned, I realised that the woman in the passenger seat was taking photographs of us - the bucolic time-honoured tradition of a man walking his sheep up to higher ground, crook in hand, sun on his back.  I guess I spoilt it all by being on the mobile phone at the time - sigh!

These girls were the last batch, and dear Sonny has been missing out on his herding while we are lodging on Flossie's patch.  He was a little overexcited and bit his tongue - I can now see where the myth of the Exmoor Werecollie comes from...

Meanwhile the flowers are bursting forth after a late start, and this year seems particularly good for early purple orchids - great patches of them along the roadsides.  The ferns are sprouting, and now that the insects are hatching, the martins and swallows swoop joyfully across the valley.

Joey and orchids

Cody and ferns


And big news!  As of Thursday, Ian M will be a full-time farmer...we're taking the leap of faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment